Monday, June 26, 2006

It's Witchcraft

Hoo boy. I spent all weekend combing my mp3 library and inching closer to finishing the myriad mixtapes I've started for my livejournal pals, and making up new mixtapes to post here in my journal, as an occasional alternative to posts with multiple downloads of single songs. As a consequence, I have a LOT of stuff to post this week. Let's get started.



Fordmadoxfraud's Magic Mixtape Vol. 1 (~91mb)

TRACKLIST
1. The Sonics - The Witch
2. Louis Prima & Keely Smith - That Old Black Magic
3. Eric Dolphy - It's Magic
4. Django Reinhardt - Magic Strings
5. Frank Sinatra - Witchcraft
6. Charles Sheffield - It's Your Voodoo Working

One of my favorite Excello blues songs.
7. Gustav Holst - Uranus, the Magician
8. Exuma - Exuma, the Obeah Man

From one of my favorite artists no one's ever heard of. When you start talking about scary magic musicans, Exuma's near the top of the list.
9. Mohammed El-Bakkar - Bisat El Reeh (Magic Carpet)
10. Sonny Sharrock - Princess and the Magician
11. Van Morrison - Magic Time
12. Art Blakey - The Witch Doctor
13. Ella Fitzgerald - Bewitched
14. Jumpin' Joe Williams & the Red Saunders Orchestra - Voodoo Blues
15. Goblin - Witch

From the Suspira soundtrack.
16. Ladytron - High Rise
from The Witching Hour
17. The Rattles - The Witch
18. Jean Shepard - Under Your Spell Again

Turns out there wasn't much country music in my collection with a sorcerous vibe.
19. Akim - Voodoo Drums
20. Wayne Shorter - Witch Hunt
21. Screamin' Jay Hawkins - I Put a Spell on You

Okay, obvious, I know. I thought about picking a different version; the one by Diamanda Galas, e.g. But this really is the best one.
22. Louis Armstrong - You've Got Me Voodoo'd
23. Albert Ayler - The Wizard

Hell, I could've filled up two mixtapes easily with just the Albert Ayler material that's about magic, wizards, spirits and witches, but I had to narrow it down. Ditto for Sun Ra, but I've decided I'm going to have a separate mix tape for space, devils and demons.

A few people have already told me that this is a dumb idea, as I'm far from the only person in the world who doesn't have broadband. But I think it's time I tried out mixtapes as an effort to give folks more bang for their downloading trouble. (We're all about more bang here at Zombiemusic Labs Inc.)

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home