Saturday, March 03, 2007

Spent most of today doing my weekly (almost daily at this point) trawl through the good music blogs. Nothing much caught my ear until I heard this song:

Amy Winehouse - Rehab

Which, okay wow. Am I the last person to hear about this chick?

I generally can't be bothered to give a flying fuck about what's going on in soul/R&B, since almost all of it is garbage after, oh, 1980 or so. (Man, whatever happened to black music?) But this song hit me just the right way (and not just because of my St. Jerome's bender last night), so it figures its by a 23 year old white Jewish Brit.

She's like what if Macy Gray was actually good. And she also wins points with me for being a hot mess in the British tabloids, doing things like heckling Bono ("Shut up! I don't give a fuck!") at awards ceremonies.

Okay, she does over-embellish the melody sometimes, but pretty much everyone oversings like that nowadays, so I can let it slide. To her credit, she shows a little more restraint than her contemporaries.


Amy Winehouse "Rehab" live at the Brit Awards

more YouTube links from some acoustic rehearsals or radio station performance or something:
Rehab (I particularly like this version)
You Know I'm No Good
Love is a Losing Game

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home