Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I've Grown Accustomed to My Bourbon



(All the songs in one 57mb ZIP folder, and a few more that I forgot to upload as single files, like John Coltrane and Paul Quinichette's "Vodka". I can't remember what the rest were)

Peppermint Harris - I Got Loaded

Possibly my favorite song about being drunk, this was the one big hit of Harris' career when it came out in 1951, and led to him cutting a slew of other, highly similar booze songs, none of which were a tenth as good as this. Harris was a protege of Lightnin' Hopkins in his (Harris') early years, and legendarily cut some early singles in an ad hoc studio in a Texas whorehouse. Not this song though.

Louis Jordan - What's the Use of Getting Sober (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)

This was Jordan's first #1 hit, going all the way to the top of the Harlem Hit Parade in 1942. Have I mentioned yet how much I like Louis Jordan? Not surprising, he's almost un-unlikeable. In a catalogue jam-packed with catchy and charismatic songs, this one stands out as one of the catchiest and most charming.

Maddox Brothers & Rose - Hangover Blues

It might be evident, or it might not, that I started making this post the day after my birthday party on Friday. Coming to work that next morning? Wow, that really, really sucked.

Miles Davis - Straight, No Chaser

I gave someone "Straight, No Chaser" as a clue in Charades once and people acted like it was a crazy, obscure saying. I guess nobody orders a 'chaser' in bars any more. But the saying's still around, isn't it?

Neil Diamond - Red Red Wine

It's high time I started posting some Neil Diamond. What? Fuck you, Neil Diamond can be pretty awesome.

Nick Cave - Rye Whiskey

Blah blah. I'm getting a little tired of Nick Cave. He's one of those singers whose schtick is so potent and so monotonously unyielding that he's easy to tire of. I burn out on him on a fairly regular basis, but then I go back and listen to Live Seeds and my enthusiasm for him is rejuvenated for at least a few more weeks.

Otis Redding - Champagne and Wine

One of the less-popular and less frequently replayed Otis Redding songs, but that gives it the virtue of freshness. Not that there's anything dated or unfresh about Otis, but if I tried to calculate the number of times I've heard "These Arms of Mine", I'd probably need to use scientific notation to save space.

The Lushes - Drunken Guitar

One of the awesomer tracks from the Las Vegas Grind comilations of 60s garage and novelty-garage songs. You can download all six compilations in their entirety here: Vols. 1 & 2 - Vols. 3 & 4 - Vols. 5 & 6

Zarah Leander - Det Började Med Ett Glas Champagne

Hey, ever wonder what kind of record collection Hitler had? I mean, aside from being a huge Wagner fanboy. I can tell you one thing: lots and lots of Zarah Leander records. The Swedish actress and chanteuse became the #1 film star of the Third Reich by default when Marlene Dietrich and Greta Garbo fled Europe for the sun and democracy of Los Angeles. Check out this post on the WFMU blog if you feel you need to download a whole album's worth of Leander songs. I did. Pretty neat stuff.

Also, one thing I discovered when making this post is that doing a google image search for "DRUNK" is really not going to take you good places. The first hit was from some place called hotdrunkmoms.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home