Wednesday, March 28, 2007



I'm generally pretty content with my singleness. Dating is a drag, and inventing reasons to meet new people oozes desperation, and I've got a dog, so, you know. Normally I'm pretty okay with it. You know what makes me feel lonely, though? Grapefruit. Right now the grapefruits I'm getting from my fruit stand are, without hyperbole, some of the best, sweetest fruit I've ever had in my life, and I've been buying them in bushels. I usually have a couple a day. But it's the first one that gets me. Rolling out of bed and into the kitchen to halve a grapefruit for breakfast? It's such a two-person thing. I can certainly eat both halves, happily, that's not the point. When sectioning a grapefruit, you feel like you should be sectioning one half for yourself, one for someone else, bringing it back to bed before they get up. Bringing someone sweet grapefruit in bed is nice. I dunno. Maybe it's just that spring is in the air.

And of course soul music vibrates just the right heartstrings when you're feeling like Mr. Pitiful. Here's some soul tunes I've been digging heavily these past few weeks. The Aaron Neville tune especially.

Aaron Neville - Wrong Number (I am Sorry, Goodbye)

Bill Withers - Hope She'll Be Happier (live)

Eddie Holman - Four Walls

Irma Thomas - Gone (live)

Jimmy Holiday - The Turning Point

April Young - Steady Boyfriend

Actually, "Steady Boyfriend" just put me in a pretty terrific mood. Thanks, music!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home