Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Music that will perhaps surprise some friends to hear I dig a lot. Or not, if you know me well.

I don't like to call anything in my life a 'guilty pleasure.' If I enjoy something, it is, self-evidently, awesome. I don't see much percentage in being abashed about the things I enjoy. There are, however, some songs that I don't expect to like, songs that surprise me. Droney, disco-esque girly electroclash? That sounds like my definition of pure hell on Earth, I admit, and yet... I like Peaches a whole lot. These are songs that make me glad I still have the capacity to surprise myself.



Yummy Bingham feat. Jadakiss - Come Get It

It took me a few weeks to get around to listening to this track, which I jacked from Adoru. But I was hooked fucking instantly, and now I simply cannot stop listening to it. It's kinda like what if Destiny's Child was actually awesome, and didn't make me throw up in my mouth a little bit every time I hear their music.

I'd never heard of Yummy Bingham, and no hip-hop head I know has either. Apparently, she's mostly a songwriter/ghostwriter type, and has written stuff for Amerie and Mary J. Blige (again, barf). And every day I become just a little more accepting of Jadakiss on the mic. The real credit for this track is probably due to producer Just Blaze, who can be a little uneven. But he's totally on top of his game with this one.

This Yummy might have been up-and-coming for a second there, but as it looks like her website hasn't been updated in almost half a year, maybe she's simply receded into the murk of pop music never-never land. Who knows? Check it out though.



Kelis - Milkshake

The only radio I listen to is the BBC in the morning, so sometimes--okay, always--I am woefully behind the times in terms of pop music, but I still caught this one on the first bounce. I was introduced to it while eating lunch in the Haitian joint over on Glenwood Road. I hadn't heard anything that sounded quite like it before, so at first I thought it was an islands thing. I asked some Haitian employees of mine about this new Haitian sensation who sang that song about milkshakes, and they all looked at me like I'd gone bonkers. I eventually managed to tease out of them that the song was by someone named Kelis, and she was in fact from Harlem. Also, she's really hot and married to Olu Dara's kid Nas?

Anyway. I get the feeling that the pop landscape has been utterly saturated by this song in the last two years. Or maybe not; being blissfully ignorant of radio and MTV, I get to burn out on songs at my own pace. If it is indeed the case, however, that everyone's thoroughly sick of it by now, here's two other versions of the song:

Kelis feat. Lala and Rah Digga - Milkshake (basically the same song, with overdubbed raps)
Kelis feat. Pharrell & Pusha-T - Milkshake (Clipse remix) (a pretty broad--but catchy--reconstruction of the song, at times unrecognizable compared to the original)



Peaches - Lovertits

I think I first heard this on someone else's blog, I can't even remember who any more. It doesn't matter. What matters is that Peaches makes slutty electronic dance music that doesn't suck like a small but extremely massive astronomical object. Her kind of weird future-throwback disco-punk reminded me of Blondie at first, with less brains and charm but more punch and stylish nymphomania. It's pretty chilly stuff--sympathies with the Stones' "Emotional Rescue" have also been invoked, not unjustly--but some days that really hits the spot, you know?



Pink - Trouble

Pink is really not the kind of thing I normally find myself listening to (evidence in this post to the contrary), and I find her not a little creepy looking. But of all those types of diva-ish young chick singers, I find her the most interesting, largely because of how different her voice is from the willowy, charmless, yodeling norm. Hers is a big voice, a forceful voice, a fat girl's voice...coming from a tiny girl's body, and this track tweaks her sound just right. It doesn't hurt that this song and the album it's from are mostly co-written and co-performed by Tim Armstrong, the guitarist, singer and punk-auteur from Operation Ivy and Rancid. And actually it almost sounds more like Pink guesting on a Rancid track than the other way around. The rest of the album is pretty crappy, but I'm still pretty attached to this song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home