Thursday, April 27, 2006

Ring-a-ding-ding!

This is a quartet of songs that I uploaded a few days ago when I was out of my mind with sleep deprivation, and now, looking back, I'm still not sure how the fourth came to be included in this mix. Which, given the fact that my brain was barely working, seems appropriate under the circumstances.



Frank Sinatra - The Coffee Song (They've Got an Awful Lot of Coffee in Brazil

Sarah Vaughan - Black Coffee

While I was finishing that freelance project and 's birthday present (an endless nightmare of longhand transcription) I drank so many pots of black coffee in succession I eventually lost track of how many I'd had, and I lost all conception of what an appetite for food might have once been. Big thanks to my sister Christine for the coffee maker!



Carl Stalling - Marching Pink Elephants

Eight or nine years ago, when I was deep in the abyss of the film department, editing my one and only 16mm student film, alone, in the middle of the night, I had my first hallucination brought on by not sleeping and drinking way, way too much coffee. It was purely auditory (I've never seen things that weren't there merely from not sleeping for an extended period), but for a good two hours while I was cutting and splicing (pre-AVID) I could hear a choir of angelic voices serenading me in a language no man had ever comprehended. They helped me stay focused despite being a complete wreck at that point, and I finally finished the project just in time for the screening. Also, despite being a complete wreck, the hallucinations also brought on an extreme and very pleasurable giddiness that felt just like this song.



Eric B. & Rakim - I Ain't No Joke

What? Okay, I love this song, and really, I ain't no joke, but still, what? Maybe when I'm really tired I start regressing to my adolescence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home