Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Spring is in the Air

[note: I wrote this yesterday, when it was actually fucking NICE out, but lj was actin' a damn fool and wouldn't let me post it]

It's finally gotten warm enough for me to stop using the bus, so I've been walking to work all week. I love that switchover, from the gray wretchedness of public transit in winter to the glory of the first sunny days of spring. Granted, three and a half miles along Flatbush Avenue during rush hour is not the most picturesque stroll, but the spring air and blue skies make up for every time you get blasted by diesel exhaust or have to wipe off the Pavlovian drooling brought on from being downwind of eight hundred chicken shacks.

Spring also, of course, tends to inspire in me a woozy romantic beatitude that makes me want to sit on a porch swing somewhere with a bottle of beer and a girl with glasses. The door is hereby opened to summer, and to the Botanic Garden and Bronx Zoo and Flushing Meadow and Coney Island! I want to eat something out of Tupperware in Prospect Park.



The other thing that walking two hours a day will do for you is allow you to really plow through all the warm and springtimey songs on your iPod, which is what I've been doing.

Big Bill Broonzy - The Glory of Love

Bobby "Blue" Bland - That's the Way Love Is

Grant Green - I Want to Hold Your Hand

The David Murray Octet - Sweet Lovely

Duke Ellington - The Girl in My Dreams Tries to Look Like You

The Blenders - Don't Fuck Around With Love

I'd also wanted to upload Dollar Brand's "Soweto", because it's always seemed a wonderfully sunny, springy song, but it's a huge file so I ran out of time. Maybe tomorrow. Instead, I figured this would be a good capstone for today's post:

Joan Jett - Crimson and Clover

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home